Friday, January 21, 2011

To wear or not to wear....

Remember that scene in Sex and the City with Samantha dressed to the nines in a beautiful fur coat and somebody throws a can of red paint on her?  If I recall correctly, she took it all in stride. If it was to happen it real life (and I’ve heard it has happened to some hapless woman in Sweden), I’m not sure the person wearing the coat would have been as sanguine as Samantha. It could easily turn into a lawsuit with claims for damages.  I’m equally sure that the fur activist would have not lack for her own supporters.


Fur, more than any other fashion item, has in recent years had a polarizing effect on the fashion-loving crowd.  What a far cry from its heyday in the 50s, 60s when it was the epitome of class and elegance. I mean who can forget Elizabeth Taylor, or Sophia Loren draped in sumptuous mink, looking for all the world like a million bucks?!  Nowadays, we have stars that refuse to wear fur or leather like Natalie Portman or Alicia Silverstone.  Stella McCartney doesn’t use them either in her collections. On the other hand, Kate Moss doesn’t seem to be bothered by all the fuss. And she looks pretty good doesn't she? (photo credit goes to http://justjared.buzznet.com)

Despite the escalating campaign by animal activists, people still continue to wear it.  It even seems to be all the rage.  I took a walk the other day and I counted at least 5 stores carrying all sorts of fur related items of clothing from simple vests to full on coats. Some were faux, while others were the real deal.  Every vintage store too, seems to have emptied out all the attics of fur as its all you can see right now. And there’s no lack of people buying them either new or vintage.

Here's a photo of one of those vintage shops I was talking about.....



I have to admit that I’m more pro than anti. There I’ve picked my camp with my apologies to the poor animals. Not so much for the glamour quotient but because it’s damn warm.  When it is freezing outside, I’ll take what I can to keep my poor self from hypothermia.  More than that though, I find it rather hypocritical to denounce fur wearing when I still find great gustatory pleasure in carnivorous meals. I’m sorry but I’m not about to give up lechon or that other guilty pleasure, chicharon.  Just the thought of these two is making me salivate.  And while I’m at it, I haven’t gotten rid of my collection of leather bags or shoes. Those, I’m afraid are also animal derived products. In my mind, one should be consistent in taking on such a strong stand.   Are these self –serving reasons? Perhaps. In the meantime, I hope I don’t encounter any paint-wielding fiend while I’m out and about!


Tell me, would you wear fur?

No comments:

Post a Comment