Sunday, January 23, 2011

Getting Things Done, in the Office and at Home

Everyone is pressed for time, but probably none more so than lawyers. There are are always deadlines to beat and chargeable hours to meet,  and if one doesn't know how to manage time, it's safe to say one is never going to make it to the top of the profession.

As a young lawyer years ago, I think I read all the time management books and articles I could get my hands on. I read Franklin Covey, I read David Allen, later on I even read Tim Ferris.  I tried their time management systems, although I knew from the get-go that there was no way I could implement Ferris' 4-hour workweek simply because I had to BE at work Mondays to Fridays.

Of all the systems I did implement, it was David Allen's "Getting Things Done" (GTD) that worked for me, in so far as managing my daily work was concerned. The GTD method is action-oriented (do, defer, delegate). At the same time it allows one to get a handle on simultaneous projects because the "mind sweep" and the "weekly review" make sure nothing falls through the cracks.Back then, I came across a lot of articles written by lawyers who sang GTD's praises.  I know some who still implement GTD now.

Unfortunately, since becoming a full-time mom, I'd fallen off the GTD wagon. I know none of what I do will result in closing a multi-billion-peso deal or in saving clients millions of pesos in taxes. However, it's still essential that I do them, or else, the house will never be the comfortable and well-run home I want it to be. Plus, I really need to get those chores done more efficiently so that I'll have more time to read or volunteer or blog.

Thankfully, I remember reading from the book that many of  GTD practices can be adopted to housework. I think I'll revisit GTD and see if I can't adopt it to my life now.

[KSP]

No comments:

Post a Comment